Electrical Engineer – Marine Renewables
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Simply Blue Energy team responsible for developing innovative marine renewable energy projects in Ireland. Simply Blue Energy is seeking a highly motivated and competent Electrical Engineer, ideally with experience in the marine renewables industry. The role is focused on day-to-day support of project design and development within the electrical discipline. The work will encompass renewable generator and power systems design and grid integration and offers an extremely exciting and rewarding opportunity for the right candidate to develop new skills and become a key part of Ireland’s Blue Economy success story.
1. The Role
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the electrical design and grid integration of renewable generation projects, ensuring that technical risk, interfaces and communications are all managed to the highest standards, throughout all stages of project planning and execution. Management of both suppliers and stakeholders may form part of the role, and the Electrical Engineer will be required to represent both the company and specific projects. The candidate must be able to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation and must take on ownership of complex tasks and challenges.
The Electrical Engineer reports on a day to day basis to the Engineering Manager and will be based at the Simply Blue Energy office in Cork or as agreed in the Contract of Employment. This is a full-time role and travel from time to time in connection with the project should be expected.
Objective: to optimise project electrical design specification and compliance, ensuring that interfaces and communications are all managed effectively and professionally, and that outputs are all of an exceptionally high quality that stand up to external assessment.
● Electrical design optimisation for SBE marine renewable energy projects in Ireland;
● Conceptual design for electrical engineering components of renewable energy power plants;
● Evaluation of new products, concepts and technologies from vendors in various countries;
● Review of Grid Codes and Transmission Codes, and application to designs and/or technical discussions;
● Input into technical elements of SBE’s requirements for EPC and Consultant contracts;
● Procurement, and review, of front-end electrical engineering reports, drawings and investigations (e.g. grid studies, feasibility studies, load flow and short-circuit studies, energy loss calculations, reticulation network designs, substation layouts etc.);
● Participate in design reviews, risk assessment, lessons learnt and resolution workshops, with subsequent implementation and reporting;
● Technical engagement with external consultants, contractors, independent engineers, lenders engineers, utility and grid companies and others, both locally and overseas as required;
● Interact with the cross-functional design team, in the design of electrical systems;
● Provide technical input into electrical health & safety procedures;
● Liaison with the various multi-disciplinary teams working on SBE projects in various countries, providing technical assistance and clarifications to any staff members when requested;
● Ensuring electrical engineering activities are carried out to the highest quality standards, and in accordance with the relevant health and safety regulations;
● Preparation and presentation of project literature, reports, presentations and briefing notes including the competent use of all relevant software required to professionally convey project information.
3. Qualifications, Skills and Experience
● A degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of three years of professional experience, ideally in a similar project development role;
● Experience in the design and implementation of instrumentation, test and DAQ systems;
● Experience with power conversion, conditioning and grid compliant systems;
● Familiarity with Grid Code and development of compliant systems;
● Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
● Strong communication skills and an ability to liaise with a range of different parties;
● Experience of representing an organization professionally;
● Highly competent in the use of MS Office including Excel, proficiency in GIS or CAD, and ability to work collaboratively using Sharepoint or Teams;
● Full, clean driving licence.
● Experience in the renewable energy sector;
● Experience of power generation and transmission with experience in complex system design;
● Experience in the design, acceptance, installation & commissioning of bespoke electrical panels, PLC systems and LV electrical equipment;
● Experience with Simulink, DIgSILENT, PSCAD, Pspice modelling, Labview coding, DAQ systems;
● Proven ability to collaborate effectively with other engineering teams – mechanical, control & automation, industrialisation & manufacturing;
● Experience in technical assessment of equipment suppliers and supervision of equipment design, development, testing and supply;
● Experience developing electrical project documentation – plans, product & system specifications, high level drawings, electrical schematics, method statements, commissioning statements, and test reports;
● Strong interpersonal, communication, technical and commercial skills, with strong customer focus and commitment to quality;
● Ability to undertake some international travel, supervising suppliers, contractors and academic partners;
● Ability to manage multiple projects, timelines and constraints;
● A pro-active, practical & flexible approach to work.
4 Your Application
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please email your CV and Cover Letter
to [email protected] with the subject heading IRE-EE by the closing date of the 25th June 2020.
We look forward to considering your application.